OXIDATIVE STRESS AND INFLAMMATION
Hydrogen-rich water reduces inflammatory responses and prevents apoptosis of peripheral blood cells in healthy adults: a randomized, double-blind, controlled trial
This study is the first randomized clinical trial investigating the antioxidant effects of hydrogen-rich water (H2-water) in healthy individuals. The study found that four-week consumption of H2-water led to a significant increase in antioxidant capacity and a decrease in oxidative stress in DNA. The study also found that H2-water significantly reduced the frequencies of apoptotic cells and circulating CD14+ cells, and that RNA-sequencing analysis identified a transcriptional network of inflammatory response as the most significant biological function modulated by H2-water. Additionally, the study found that H2-water significantly reduced the concentration of 8-OHdG, which is a marker of oxidative stress and a risk factor for various diseases. The study suggests that H2-water has antioxidant properties and has a beneficial effect on reducing inflammation and oxidative stress.
ALLERGIES AND INFLAMMATION
Consumption of water containing a high concentration of molecular hydrogen reduces oxidative stress and disease activity in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (Human)(Water)(2012)
Hydrogen gas improves survival rate and organ damage in zymosan-induced generalized inflammation model. (Mouse)(Gas)(2012)
- H2 prevented abnormal changes of oxidant and antioxidant systems in ZY-challenged mice.
- H2 improved survival rate in ZY-challenged mice.
- H2 treatment reduced the levels of early and late inflammatory cytokines in ZY-challenged mice.
Molecular hydrogen suppresses FcεRI-mediated signal transduction and prevents degranulation of mast cells (Mouse)(Water)(2009)
ATHLETIC PERFORMANCE & RECOVERY
Effects of drinking hydrogen-rich water on muscle fatigue caused by acute exercise in elite athletes. (Human)(Water)(2012)
- Athletes drinking hydrogen rich water prevented elevation of blood lactate during exercise
- Peak torque of the hydrogen rich water group didn’t decrease at the early phase, thereby showing reduced muscle fatigue